Saturday, June 14, 2008

pondering

Been having a hard time these last few days, with the ending of school. it is just so final this time.

D doesn't really *get* why this is so hard for me. In the last 9 years, he has been working on several different projects, has gotten 2 degrees, been published in world renowned journals, and has made his name and reputation as a scientist known all over the world. In the Scientific community he is known, and respected, throughout the world. He is outgoing, and can easily talk to people.

Me-- it is totally different. I have worked 9 solid years on one place. I am shy, and hard to pull out of my shell. School is the one place I could do that. I worked, and sometimes breathed education. I go almost anywhere in this town, and someone stops me. Random kids and teens run up to hug me, adults stop me in the restroom to tell me I taught their kid 5 + years ago, I am invited to high school graduations. Here I am important. Once I leave this world, I fear I will become nothing again. That reputation, does not follow me, like D's does. I have to rebuild all that I have worked for in the last 9 years. In the last 9 years I have had the best best people to work with, to help me grow into the person I am. Now, I am leaving all of that. I have to rebuild everything. It is easy being myself here, but the fact remains, that I am a little different than the traditional teacher. I just don't know how I am going to do it.

I love seeing my "kids", I invested so much time, love, and energy, in so many of them. I am just so sad I guess. I don't know if sad is the right word. Sad, trepidatious, anxious- I am making a leap of faith, and just praying this is what was meant to be. I just wish D- could really understand what leaving this job means to me, why I feel like it is killing a part of me on the inside.

1 comment:

njoel said...

Rach; do not forget all the folks from Aberdeen md, who have already reached out to you.
Think of things this way, you have many friends both from school and Church, now instead of forgetting them you bring the new friends into the mix, and you have a broader base.