Wow, work is getting crazy.... I was pretty attached to the students I had early in teh year, and all of them transitioned out of our program around the same time, so within the last few weeks i have started with 3 new students.. and it takes time to get to know them, their quirks, etc...
I have one who has a low IQ, which I am not used to dealing with, and middle schooler, and a 10th grader.. (my last batch of kids I had 2 advanced students).. it has been hard getting used to them, and I find myself working a lot harder to prepare lessons. They don't do anything on their own... anything... they need constant interaction (hard with 3 on very different levels, and different subject areas).. I found today that I was having a really good time with them. I like the challange, and to feel like I am actually teaching something, and not just handing out the assignments. I was a bit shocked at how little they know in some subject areas (ie, high schooler not knowing what a governor is).. but at least it is something I know well, and can teach. I started Julius Caesar today too. Sadly, I am so excited about teaching it. How dorky am I?
My biggest challenge is my student with a low IQ. Typically we only have "average or advanced" students (mostly right in the middle, ability wise)... I have never had to teach a low IQ student. Even in the classroom, I taught regular ed and gifted students.. so having to back up and try to teach addition, subtraction, and how to read... I just don't know how to do it. I find myself frustrated, esp. when it seems she only understand half of what I say. Special Ed teachers- you are amazing people- How you do it everyday when all you get in response is blank stares...
In the rest of my world.. Jonas started soccer today... It is a program offered through his school. After school, once a week, a group comes in and does a soccer lesson for like 30-40 minutes. He LOVED it. He cracked me up, he told me "it was awesome, even if his partner was a girl"... I asked him how he chose his partner and he said "she chose me"... My friend Christina, watched part of the time. She told me that when they were kicking in goals, Jonas cheers for him self and proclaimed "I am awesome"... (the only one who cheered himself on).. that's my child.. no self image issues here...
So days I am amazed at how much I love that kid.
Ok.. gotta go back to preparing for school tomorrow
jonah rockin' the xylophone
8 years ago



2 comments:
"I have never had to teach a low IQ student. "
yeah you have! you had me!! :D
"
yeah you have! you had me!! :D"
na.. I have had students who act like their shoe size is their IQ... but in actuality it was higher :)
Post a Comment